If you haven’t seen with your own eyes, funeral pro… the families of today are changing.
And as we move forward into these changes together, it’s important to see where you stand. Do you need to refresh yourself with what families are asking for on a nation-wide level? Or are you completely up-to-date, and even ahead of the game when it comes down to it?
We created an interactive quiz for you to find out. Take a moment and answer the 11 questions below to see how you’re doing.
(Note: The answers, and questions, to this quiz are based on funeral industry research we’ve collected over the last 6 months.)
Take the quiz here:
1. Upon first meeting your family, the first question to ask them is…
A. Why don’t you tell me about your loved one? Do you have a photo of them?
B. What kind of service would you like for your loved one?
C. Do you want to see our showroom?
2. True or False: When it comes down to cost, families are simply looking for a cheap price, and nothing more.
3. How do you think your families would best feel supported by you?
A. If I just helped them with the necessary logistics.
B. If I offered them inspiring options to truly celebrate the life lived.
C. If I focused on giving them the best price possible.
4. True or False: More than half of today’s families want to celebrate their loved one’s life at a non-traditional location.
5. What percentage of families (over the age of 40) would you predict say they would prefer to plan their own funeral services?
A. Less then 30%.
B. Between 31% – 60%.
C. More than 61%.
6. When it comes to social media, is Facebook a place you think your families want to connect with you on?
A. Nope, they don’t use Facebook to look for funeral homes.
B. Yes, my families want to build a relationship with me on Facebook.
C. Yes, if I try and sell services on Facebook, I know my families will buy!
7. Why do you think some families really choose direct cremation?
A. Because they aren’t educated on the value of other options.
B. Because it’s easy.
C. Because it’s the cheapest option.
8. What kind of funeral do you think most families are looking for?
A. A traditional funeral at a funeral home.
B. No funeral service at all.
C. A celebration of life that’s personal and meaningful.
9. Do you agree or disagree: the landscape of the funeral profession IS changing.
A. I disagree, that’s a bunch of fluff.
B. I agree!
10. What do you think would most benefit the funeral profession in the future?
A. Maintaining the traditions we’ve always used, because it’s important that we honor them.
B. Re-defining the way families perceive the funeral profession and funeral services by educating them on all the options out there… and the value they provide.
C. Giving the families the easiest, cheapest options possible.
11. What ONE element of the funeral service do you think could inspire your families the most?
A. The overall message/the meaning.
B. The music.
C. The eulogy.
D. The pictures.
E. The location.
Now, add up your scores
Here are the correct answers to each question, according to our data. Please give yourself ONE point for every correct answer you’ve scored:
- A: Why don’t you tell me about your loved one? Do you have a photo of them?
- B: If I offered them inspiring options to truly celebrate the life lived
- C: More than 61%
- B: Yes, my families want to build a relationship with me on Facebook.
- A: Because they aren’t educated on the value of other options
- C: A celebration of life that’s personal and meaningful
- B: I agree!
- B: Re-defining the way families perceive the funeral profession and funeral services by educating them on all the options out there.
- A: The overall message/the meaning.
How did you do?
Now check out our advice and guidance for you, according to the score you calculated above:
0-4 points: Time for a refresher
There is no shame if you scored in this category. Whether you’ve been around the funeral profession for awhile, or are completely new, consider this your personal invitation to get to know your families. Start reading up on industry news, follow our blog, or even start interviewing your client families so you can start to truly understand them.
Recommended reading for you:
5-7 points: On the right track
If you ended up in this category, you’re doing pretty great. You’re starting to understand your families’ needs. Would you like to push yourself a little further – either individually or collectively at your funeral home? Then take this chance to study your families’ needs a bit more. Trust us, this will lead you to an abundance of appreciation from your families, as well as tangible success at your funeral home.
Recommended reading for you: 9 Habits of a Highly Successful Funeral Director
7-11 points: You’re an expert!
Great job if you scored under this category! You’ve either done the work to get to know your families, or you’re simply a natural at this. Either way, congratulations! It’s people like you that the future of the funeral profession needs. We encourage you to spread this knowledge with your peers, becoming a beacon a light for the future we’re creating.! Buckle up, because you’re getting ready for a wild ride of success (if you’re not already!)
Recommended reading for you: The Funeral Director Job Description of the Future
How did you do on the quiz? Tell us in the comments below!